Dr Huw Brunt Chief Environmental Public Health Officer
Dr Huw Brunt is the Chief Environmental Public Health Officer.
He is an advocate for both environmental health and public health professions.
Dr Brunt provides strategic leadership on environmental public health matters. He gives specialist advice to Welsh ministers, government officials and external partners.
He covers a broad range of environmental public health matters, such as:
- environmental incident preparedness resilience and response
- public health concerns linked to chemicals, radiation, and air, land and water quality
- food safety and food/water-borne diseases, housing, health and safety, port health
- climate change-related public health risks
- broader environmental determinants of health
He works across Welsh Government and with UK Government departments. He also works in close partnership with local authorities, NHS Wales agencies and other system partners.
Dr Brunt has a background in environmental health and is a qualified Public Health Consultant. He is a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health and currently a Wales Faculty Advisor. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health. With over 20 years’ experience, he has held a variety of roles across local and central government, academia and the NHS in Wales. He has a PhD in air quality, public health and inequalities, and is an academic visiting research fellow.