We want to improve journey times between the River Dee and Northop Interchange.
The roads review considered this project
This page reflects our previous road investment programme. A new programme was published in the national transport delivery plan.
We will publish new scheme webpages to reflect the new programme.
Why we are doing it
The A494/A55 between the Shotwick interchange and Northop Interchange is a dual 2-lane road. It is regularly congested.
Due to the age and when the road was designed it struggles to cope with the volume of traffic and is below modern standards. There are no places for vehicles to pull in if they break down. Some junctions have slip roads that are too short or too close to the road, some of which have poor visibility. It is at these junctions that the majority of accidents unfortunately occur.
The aims of the scheme are to:
- improve reliability and journey times
- safety, capacity and reduce carbon emissions
- improve connections for businesses and access between residential areas and work places
- make more efficient use of the existing transport infrastructure
- improve access to public transport
- improve active travel routes
Where we can we will minimise impact of these improvements for local residents, the landscape, air quality and biodiversity.
We consulted on two routes, along with a 'do nothing' option, in 2017.
We announced our preferred route in September 2017.
We have appointed Corderoy to help us manage the delivery of the scheme. Capita is supporting Corderoy as technical advisors.
Corderoy has developed a strategy for the next phase of the scheme.
We are in the process of procuring a design partner to develop the preferred route.
In June 2020 we published a contract notice for the work of developing a preliminary design. We expect to award the contract by spring 2021.
During late 2020 we will gather data through surveys along the proposed route. This will tell us more about local ecology, biodiversity and geological characteristics.
The scheme consists of:
- A new 13km two-lane dual carriageway linking the A55-A5119 Northop junction (junction 33) with the A494 and A550 north of Deeside Parkway junction, via Kelsterton Interchange and the Flintshire Bridge. This option is partly online improvement and partly new alignment.
- The scheme will also increase capacity along the existing A548, includes modifications and improvements to junctions and provides a new section of road between the A548 at Kelsterton and the A55 at Northop.
Ecological and ground investigation surveys: late 2020
Procurement of design partner: spring 2021
Develop preliminary design, prepare the environment statement and draft Orders: 2021 to 2022
Statutory process: 2022 to 2024
Detailed design and construction: 2024 to 2027
How we are consulting
We will hold public information events when we have appointed a design partner.
For this scheme they are to:
- carry out ecological and ground investigation surveys
- appoint a design partner for the next phase of the scheme