These statistics, produced by the National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER), show the ability of pupils in science, mathematics and reading for 2018.
This is the latest release in the series: Achievement of 15 year olds (Program for International Student Assessment) PISA national report
In 2018, results were submitted by 107 schools for 3,165 pupils in Wales. 79 countries participated including all members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and all four countries within the UK.
- The average PISA reading score for Wales in 2018 was 483. This has remained stable since 2006 (481).
- There are 22 countries where the mean reading score is ahead of Wales compared to 30 in 2015. In 42 countries the mean reading score was significantly lower.
- For the first time there is no statistically significant difference between Wales’ score and OECD average.
- The average PISA mathematics score for Wales in 2018 was 487. This is a statistically significant improvement on the score in 2012 (468).
- There are 23 countries which outperformed Wales, compared to 30 in 2015. In 40 countries the mean mathematics score was significantly lower.
- For the first time there is no statistically significant difference between Wales and Northern Ireland, Scotland, and the OECD average.
- The average PISA science score for Wales in 2018 was 488. This is 17 points lower than the average in 2006 (505) but 3 points higher than the 2015 (485).
- There are 19 countries where the mean science score was ahead of Wales compared to 28 in 2015. Wales significantly outperformed 45 countries.
- There is no statistically significant difference between Wales and Northern Ireland, Scotland, and the OECD average.
The above figures are based on comparing Wales with other participating countries, including the component parts of the UK. This is consistent with the national report produced by the NFER.
The PISA 2018 international report, and additional information, can be found on the OECD website.
On 19 November 2020, NFER published three new reports containing additional analyses of the 2018 PISA results. These reports are:
Achievement of 15 year olds: PISA 2018 national report , file type: PDF, file size: 9 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 5060
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.