Skip to main content

The Physical Adaptations grant is available through your housing association.


  • tenant who is disabled
  • tenant who is an older person
  • housing associations (excludes stock transfer housing associations)

Changes you can make to your home

  • bathroom adaptations: includes replacing a bath with a shower and all other works
  • lifts: includes providing stair lifts or through floor lifts
  • hoists: includes fixed hoists and other works to help tenants and their carers to move around their home
  • kitchen adaptations: includes height adjusting units
  • access aids: includes ramps, alterations to driveways or paths, hand rails and grab rails
  • other adaptations: includes carports, door restrictors, door opening system

In some cases, major works such as ground floor extensions for bedrooms and bathrooms may be funded.

How to apply

Tenants must contact their housing association.

The process

Step 1. You must contact your housing association and request a change to your home.

Step 2. An occupational therapist and a housing association officer will visit you. They will check your circumstances and see what changes you need.

Step 3. Your housing association will agree the best solution for you and your home based on checks.

Step 4. If appropriate your housing association will apply to us for funding for the work.

Step 5. The work will be begin.

Step 6. Your housing association will claim the grant from us after the work has been completed.