In this page
Building regulations circular
Circular number: WGC 008/2022
Date issued: 20/12/2022
Status: For information
Title: Amendments to Approved Document M (access to and use of buildings) 2004 edition incorporating 2010 amendments (WGC 008/2022)
Issued by: Neil Hemington, Chief Planner, Planning Directorate
Please forward to: Local Authority Building Control Officers, Members of the Senedd
Local Authority Chief Executives
Welsh Local Government Association
Association of Corporate Approved Inspectors
Construction Industry Council
Competent Persons Forum
This is a circular letter to announce the approval and publication of the amendments to Approved Document M and to draw attention to the transitional provisions for the changes.
For further information contact:
Building Regulations Team
Welsh Government Offices
- I am directed by Welsh Ministers to draw your attention to the publication of amendments to Approved Document M (access to and use of buildings) 2004 edition incorporating 2010 amendments.
- The amendments to the Approved Document will come into force on 3 January 2023 in the circumstances set out in the formal notice of approval in Annex A to this Circular
- The purpose of this Circular is to:
- announce the approval and publication of the amendments to Approved Document M
- draw attention to the transitional provisions for the above changes
- This circular does not give advice on the technical requirements in the Building Regulations 2010 as these are matters covered by Approved Documents.
- The guidance in this circular applies to buildings and building work in Wales.
Amendments to Approved Document M (access to and use of buildings) 2004 edition incorporating 2010 amendments
- Approved Documents provide statutory guidance on the application and compliance with the Building Regulations. An amendment slip, “Amendments to Approved Document M”, is being published alongside this Circular on the Welsh Government website. The amendment slip contains guidance on setting new requirements for the provision of Changing Places Toilets in certain buildings.
- These requirements apply to new buildings and buildings subject to a material change of use
- The amendments to the approved document take effect on 3 January 2023.
The amendments do not apply in any case where a building notice or an initial notice has been given to, or full plans deposited with, a local authority and either the building work to which it relates:
(a) Started before that day; or
(b) by 3 March 2023.
- Annex A to this Circular give the Notice of Approval for the amendments to the Approved Document.
- Copies of the amendment slip and circular are available from: Amendments to approved document M (access to and use of buildings) 2004 edition incorporating 2010 amendments.
Any enquiries on this Circular Letter should be addressed to:
Telephone: 03000 628232.
E mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Planning
Chief Planner, Planning Directorate
Building Act 1984
NOTICE OF APPROVAL OF AMENDMENTS OF DOCUMENTS GIVING PRACTICAL GUIDANCE WITH RESPECT TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE BUILDING REGULATIONS 2010
Welsh Ministers hereby give notice under section 6 of the Building Act 1984 that, in exercise of the said powers under section 6, they have approved the amendments to the Approved Document listed below for the purposes of giving practical guidance with respect to the specified requirements of the Building Regulations 2010 (as amended) in Wales only.
The amendments take effect on 3 January 2023 except in respect of work already commenced before that date or in respect of work for which a building notice or initial notice has been given or full plans deposited before that date and provided work commences by 3 March 2023.
|Requirements of the
Building Regulations in respect of which the
document is approved
|Date from which the amendments take effect
|Amendments to Approved Document M (Access to and use of buildings) 2004 edition incorporating 2010 amendments.
|Part M of Schedule 1
|3 January 2023