Skip to main content

When and how you can appeal a high hedges decision.

First published:
9 January 2019
Last updated:

When you can appeal

Your local authority makes decisions about high hedges.

You can appeal against a high hedge remedial notice or the local authority’s decision not to issue one if you either:

  • complained to the local authority about the hedge
  • own, rent or occupy the land that the hedge is on

There’s no fee for appealing.

Deadline for appealing

You must appeal within 28 days of:

  • the remedial notice
  • your local authority’s decision either to take no action, or to change an existing remedial notice (withdraw, waive or relax)

When you can expect a decision

Once your appeal has started you’ll normally get a decision within 34 weeks.

How to appeal

Fill in a high hedges appeal form.

You also need:

  • a copy of the local authority’s decision
  • the remedial notice (if the local authority have issued one)
  • any other documents that directly support your appeal

Email or post these documents with your completed appeal form to the council who made the decision and Planning and Environment Decisions Wales (PEDW).

Planning and Environment Decision Wales
Crown Buildings
Cathays Park
CF10 3NQ 

After you appeal

PEDW will check your appeal to make sure it’s valid. They’ll tell you what happens next and how long your appeal may take.

Your appeal will be decided based on the information you send and a site visit. Your case officer will write to you if they require additional information.

You’ll normally get a decision within 26 weeks.

You can complain about how PEDW handled your appeal. There’s no time limit for complaints.

If you disagree with the appeal decision

You can challenge the decision in the High Court if you think PEDW made a legal mistake.

Get advice from a lawyer if you’re unsure about this.