11 March 2022
Request for Information – ATISN 16069
I wrote to you on 15 February regarding your request for information on new roads in Wales.
Could you please advise of new A roads or higher that;
- Have been built or are currently in progress in Wales in 2021.
- That were planned for 2021 for 2022 and beyond.
I can confirm that the Welsh Government holds information captured by your request. For question one, the following schemes have been built or were in progress in Wales in 2021:
- A487 Caernarfon and Bontnewydd Bypass
- A55 Abergwyngregyn to Tai’r Meibion Improvements
- A487 New Dyfi Bridge Improvement
- A40 Llanddewi Velfrey to Redstone Cross Improvements
- A465 Section 2 Gilwern to Brynmawr
- A465 Section 5 and 6 Dowlais Top to Hirwaun
- M4 Junction 48
For question two, the following schemes were planned/in development during 2021 for delivery in 2022 and beyond:
- A55 Junctions 14 to 16A Improvements
- A483 Junctions 3 to 6 Improvements
- A494 River Dee Improvements
- A494/A55/A548 Flintshire Corridor Improvements
- A55 3rd Menai Crossing
- A483 Llandeilo
- A4226 Five Mile Lane
In addition to the above large scale improvement projects, there are also a significant number of smaller scale improvements to the strategic road network being developed by the Welsh Government for delivery in 2022 and beyond.
The majority of these large and small scale projects across Wales have been paused by the Welsh Government in order to carry out a review. Please follow link below for further information on the Roads Review as well as a full list of schemes that are in development which will be considered by the Panel.
If you are dissatisfied with the Welsh Government’s handling of your request, you can ask for an internal review within 40 working days of the date of this response. Requests for an internal review should be addressed to the Welsh Government’s Freedom of Information Officer at: Information Rights Unit, Welsh Government, Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3NQ or Email: Freedom.email@example.com. Please remember to quote the ATISN reference number above.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. However, please note that the Commissioner will not normally investigate a complaint until it has been through our own internal review process.