4 March 2022
Request for Information – ATISN 16110
Thank you for your request for information dated 15 February. You have asked for the following information in relation to the Heads of the valley road Brynmawr to Abergavenny -
- How long did it take to complete the Black Rock section?
- How many years late was it?
- How much did it cost?
- How much over budget was it?
- Who decided to put a 50 MPH limit on the road?
You have also asked in relation to the 50mph speed limits on the A470 road just around Pontypridd, the number of people, prior to the limit being imposed, who have died from said pollution? Also those who in the area have died since?
I can confirm that we hold some of the information requested.
- Works started 10 December 2014 and was operational from 21 November 2021.
- The initial programmed completion date was scheduled for 03 September 2018.
- The scheme budget is £336 million.
- The initial scheme budget was £223 million.
- Refer to the Inspectors Report item 10.23 Welsh Government approved the speed limit.
Regarding deaths from pollution on the A470 around Pontypridd, I can confirm that we do not hold information of this nature. However, I would refer you to the Health Advice | Air Quality In Wales (gov.wales) and a470-pontypridd-weltag-stage-three-report_1.pdf (gov.wales).
If you are dissatisfied with the Welsh Government’s handling of your request, you can ask for an internal review within 40 working days of the date of this response. Requests for an internal review should be addressed to the Welsh Government’s Freedom of Information Officer at: Information Rights Unit, Welsh Government, Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3NQ or Email: Freedom.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember to quote the ATISN reference number above.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. However, please note that the Commissioner will not normally investigate a complaint until it has been through our own internal review process.