Information relating to the temporary field hospital that was built in the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.
13 June 2022
ATISN 16317 – Temporary COVID Hospital
Thank you for your request to the Welsh Government for information under the Freedom of Information Act (2000) received on 14 May 2022 relating to the temporary field hospital that was built in the Principality Stadium in Cardiff. You requested the following:
- How much did the facility cost to build?
- How much did it cost to dismantle and dispose of?
- What did it cost to run over the duration?
- What was the total cost for the operation?
- How many patients did it treat?
- What was the cost of treatment?
- How many staff worked there full and part time?
- What was the cost of staffing?
1. Site set up and maintenance costs for the Dragons Heart Hospital (built at the Principality Stadium) were £46.7m.
3. See answer below.
4. Total cost of project is currently £54.769m.
5. Between 28th April 2020 and 4th June 2020, a total of 46 patients were admitted.
As for questions 2, 6, 7 and 8, Welsh Government does not hold this information, you may wish to contact Cardiff and Vale University Health Board for the information that you are seeking on the following:
Cardiff and Vale UHB Headquarters
University Hospital of Wales (UHW)
Cardiff, CF14 4XW
If you are dissatisfied with the Welsh Government’s handling of your request, you can ask for an internal review within 40 working days of the date of this response. Requests for an internal review should be addressed to the Welsh Government’s Freedom of Information Officer at:
Information Rights Unit,
or Email: Freedom.email@example.com
Please remember to quote the ATISN reference number above.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office,
However, please note that the Commissioner will not normally investigate a complaint until it has been through our own internal review process.