Management information provided by schools in Wales on attendance of pupils in maintained schools from 4 to 22 September 2023.
This headline presents information on the attendance of pupils in schools during the current academic year.
All data in this headline is based on the definition of attendance that was in use and published before the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The data here is not comparable with the data published during the pandemic for 2020/21 and 2021/22, except for Table 8 which has been calculated on the same basis. For more details see the quality section below and accompanying spreadsheet.
The data in Table 8 is provided to enable comparisons between current and historical attendance levels. Whilst the data is comparable over time, we would encourage users to treat comparisons between 2023/24 and earlier years with caution at present until further data is available for the current year and current trends become more robust and stable.
Data for primary and special schools in Powys, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire was not included in the last release due to technical issues extracting data from their management information systems. This issue has now been resolved and the data has been revised to include these schools from the start of the academic year.
- The average attendance for this academic year to date is 92.6%.
- The latest week is 18 to 22 September, the last week was the 11 to 15 September.
- An average of 90.8% of half-day school sessions were recorded as present for pupils aged 5 to 15 over the latest week, down from 92.8% the week before. Data for the latest week is provisional.
- An average of 6.3% of half-day school sessions were recorded as authorised absence for pupils aged 5 to 15 over the latest week, up from 4.6% the week before.
- An average of 2.9% of half-day school sessions were recorded as unauthorised absence for pupils aged 5 to 15 over the latest week, up from 2.6% the week before.
- There has been little difference in the attendance rate for males (92.6%) and females (92.5%) for the academic year to date.
- The attendance rate by year group for the academic year to date has been highest for pupils in Year 7 (95.2%) and lowest for pupils in Year 11 (88.7%).
- The attendance rate for the academic year to date has been higher for pupils not eligible for free school meals (94.0%) than pupils who are eligible for free school meals (88.4%).
- The most common reason for absence for the academic year to date has been illness, with 38.2% of sessions missed being for this reason.
This data is management information extracted from school management information systems once a week. This data has not undergone the same level of quality assurance as official statistics and the data may be subject to future revisions. The figures for the latest two weeks should be treated as provisional. Earlier figures are final and are not subject to change.
All data in this headline is based on the definition of attendance that was in use and published before the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The data here is not comparable with the data published during the pandemic for 2020/21 and 2021/22, except for Table 8 which has been calculated on the same basis. The main differences in definitions are:
- Data is presented as the percentage of half day sessions missed instead of the percentage of pupils absent.
- Data is for pupils of statutory school age only (aged 5 to 15) instead of data for all ages.
- Data is for pupils in primary, middle, secondary and special schools only and does not include data for nursery schools or pupil referral units.
- Code Y (partial and forced closure) is now counted as "not required to attend" rather than "absent".
All 4 nations are publishing regular data on attendance in school. We do not advise making comparisons between the nations due to differences in data collection methods, presentation and definitions.
National Statistics status
These statistics are not National Statistics and have been produced quickly in response to developing national and local events.
Datasets and interactive tools
Attendance of pupils in maintained schools: 4 to 22 September 2023 , file type: ODS, file size: 27 KB
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.