Management information provided by schools in Wales on attendance of pupils in maintained schools from 5 to 30 September 2022.
This is not the latest release in the series: Attendance of pupils in maintained schools
This headline presents information on the attendance of pupils in schools during the current academic year.
All data in this headline is based on the definition of attendance that was in use and published before the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The data here are not comparable with the data published during the pandemic for 2020/21 and 2021/22. For more details see the quality section below and accompanying spreadsheet.
- An average of 90.4% of half-day school sessions were recorded as present for pupils aged 5 to 15 over the week of 26 to 30 September 2022, the same as the week before. The figure for 20 to 23 September 2022 has been revised down from 90.6%. Data for the latest two weeks is provisional.
- An average of 6.6% of half-day school sessions were recorded as authorised absence for pupils aged 5 to 15 over the week of 26 to 30 September 2022, down from 6.8% the week before.
- An average of 3.0% of half-day school sessions were recorded as unauthorised absence for pupils aged 5 to 15 over the week of 26 to 30 September 2022, up from 2.8% the week before.
We will add comparisons to attendance before the pandemic, tables on absence by pupil characteristics including gender, age and free school meal eligibility and tables on persistent absence over the coming weeks as more data becomes available and is finalised.
This data is management information extracted from school management information systems once a week. This data has not undergone the same level of quality assurance as official statistics and the data may be subject to future revisions. The figures for the latest two weeks should be treated as provisional. Earlier figures are final and are not subject to change.
All data in this headline is based on the definition of attendance that was in use and published before the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The data here are not comparable with the data published during the pandemic for 2020/21 and 2021/22.
The main differences in definitions
- Data is presented as the percentage of half day sessions missed instead of the percentage of pupils absent.
- Data is for pupils of statutory school age only (aged 5 to 15) instead of data for all ages.
- Data is for pupils in primary, middle, secondary and special schools only and does not include data for nursery schools or pupil referral units.
- Code Y (partial and forced closure) is now counted as "not required to attend" rather than 'absent'.
All 4 nations are publishing regular data on attendance in school. We do not advise making comparisons between the nations due to differences in data collection methods, presentation and definitions.
National Statistics status
These statistics are not National Statistics and have been produced quickly in response to developing national and local events.
Datasets and interactive tools
Attendance of pupils in maintained schools 5 to 30 September 2022 , file type: ODS, file size: 13 KB
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.