Licences issued in 2021 to use a cage trap to capture a badger, mark a badger and kill/take badgers to prevent the spread of disease
As part of the strengthened TB Eradication Programme, licences to mark, trap and take badgers have been issued to prevent the spread of disease on farms which have a TB chronic breakdown herd. Only those badgers caught which are TB test positive are humanely killed.
Licences were issued to five holdings as part of the programme. The five holdings were in areas of high risk in relation to TB, covering a total land area of approximately 1,241 hectares.
The licencing periods for the issued licences were as follows:
- the first licence was between 3 May 2021 and 30 June 2021
- the second licence was between 17 May 2021 and 30 September 2021
- the third licence was between 24 May 2021 and 30 September 2021
- the fourth licence was between 7 June 2021 and 31 December 2021
- the fifth licence was between 28 June 2021 and 31 December 2021