Data which summarises information on the number of births and deaths and the stock of VAT/PAYE registered enterprises for 2018.
- 3,055 Welsh businesses were born and 1,900 business died within the retail industry in 2018, more than any other industry.
- The construction industry continued to have the most active enterprises in Wales with 15,075 in 2018.
- The total number of enterprises active in Wales during 2018 was 105,360.
- There were 14,045 enterprise births in Wales during 2018, which is a rate(1) of 13.3%. This was the third highest rate out of the twelve UK countries and regions. The UK birth rate was 12.9%.
- There were 10,950 enterprise deaths in Wales during 2018, which is a rate(1) of 10.4%. This was the fourth lowest rate amongst the twelve UK countries and regions. The UK death rate was 11.4%.
- The 5 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2013 and still active in 2018 for Wales was 42.1%, slightly below the UK survival rate of 42.4%. The highest 5 year survival rate was in the South West (45.6%), whilst the lowest was in London (39.3%).
- The 1 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2017 and still active in 2018 for Wales was 90.0%, slightly above the UK survival rate of 89.0%. The highest survival rate was in the East Midlands (90.8%), and the lowest was in London (87.2%).
(1) Rates calculated as percentage of stock.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9016
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.