Skip to main content

Who to contact for help, support and advice if you work in the CPEY sector.

Welsh Government

Welsh Government’s Childcare, Play and Early Years division is responsible for childcare and play policy, guidance, grants and legislation, including regulations and National Minimum Standards.

Contact the Welsh Government’s Childcare, Play and Early Years team if you have any questions about the National Minimum Standards, the Childcare Offer; Funding; Covid-19 guidance and the Home Childcare Providers Approval Scheme (Nanny Scheme), email:  

For any queries on Flying Start, email:

For the Foundation Phase, email:

Care inspectorate Wales

Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) is the independent regulator for childcare and play services in Wales. CIW registers and inspects services using the regulations and National Minimum Standards set by the Welsh Government. CIW also approve nannies under the Welsh Government’s approval scheme.

Contact CIW if you have any questions about registration and inspection.

Social Care Wales

Social Care Wales is responsible for maintaining and overseeing the early years and childcare sector’s training, qualifications and development requirements.

Contact Social Care Wales if you have any questions about what qualifications are needed to work in the early years and childcare sector in Wales or for resources to support your work.

Local Authorities

Local Authorities are required to ensure there is sufficient childcare in their area and to put plans in place to address any gaps identified Each Local Authority’s Family Information Service offers information and guidance on the full range of services available to Children and Young People.

Contact your Local Authority if you have any queries about the support available in your area.

Childcare and Play Umbrella Organisations

There are a number of organisations who provide support for specific types of childcare and playwork settings:

  • Contact Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs (CPCKC) with any queries about help, development and support for out of school childcare clubs.
  • Early Years Wales offers support for early years (0-5) providers in Wales.
  • Guidance and advice on Welsh-medium early years, care and education is available via Mudiad Meithrin.
  • If you are a nursery provider and need support the National Day Nurseries Association Cymru can help.
  • The Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years – PACEY Cymru can support you if you work in childcare and early years as a childminder, nanny or any other role
  • Contact Play Wales for advice, support and guidance on children’s play and for the required qualifications for regulated playwork settings.