Classical swine fever (CSF) is a highly contagious viral pig disease. It is a notifiable disease.
Suspicion and confirmation
Contact your local Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) Office immediately on 0300 303 8268, if you suspect classical swine fever.
APHA vets will investigate suspected cases.
The following clinical signs may be present:
- constipation followed by diarrhoea
- gummed-up eyes
- blotchy discolouration of the skin
- abortion, stillbirths and weak litters
- weakness of hindquarters
- nervous signs including convulsions and tremors in new born piglets
Transmission and prevention
The disease spreads through:
- the movement of infected pigs
- the movement of contaminated vehicles, clothing, footwear and equipment