Information on amounts collected, arrears and amounts written off for April 2019 to March 2020.
This is not the latest release in the series: Council Tax collection rates
The report does not cover the period of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
- In 2019-20, billing authorities collected 97.0% of council tax billed, a decrease of 0.3 of a percentage point.
- 5 authorities recorded a year-on-year increase in their collection rate in 2019-20 and 17 recorded a decrease.
- Neath Port Talbot recorded the highest in-year collection rate at 98.0% whilst Blaenau Gwent recorded the lowest at 93.9%.
- The amount actually collected in respect of 2019-20 bills, excluding council tax reduction scheme, was £1,666 million(r) out of £1,717 million collectable.
- During 2019-20, billing authorities collected £25 million of arrears and wrote off £6 million as uncollectable.
- The total amount outstanding at 31 March 2020 was £109 million, of which £50 million(r) was in-year arrears.
(r) Revised 27 October 2020.
Council Tax collection rates, April 2019 to March 2020 , file type: PDF, file size: 717 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 3963
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.