Information on amounts collected, arrears and amounts written off for April 2021 to March 2022.
This is the latest release in the series: Council Tax collection rates
- In 2021-22, billing authorities collected 96.3% of council tax billed, an increase of 0.6 percentage points.
- Most authorities recorded a year-on-year increase in their collection rate in 2021-22 mainly due to the suspension of debt recovery during the COVID-19 pandemic in the previous year.
- Neath Port Talbot recorded the highest in-year collection rate at 98.0% whilst Blaenau Gwent recorded the lowest at 92.3%.
- The amount actually collected in respect of 2021-22 bills, excluding council tax reduction scheme, was £1,837 million out of £1,908 million collectable.
- During 2021-22, billing authorities collected £43 million of arrears and wrote off £5 million as uncollectable.
- The total amount outstanding at 31 March 2022 was £173 million, of which £70 million was in-year arrears.
Council Tax collection rates: April 2021 to March 2022 , file type: PDF, file size: 421 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email email@example.com. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 3963
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.