Eligibility criteria for COVID-19 vaccination
COVID-19 vaccination two dose primary course offer
The universal two dose primary course of vaccine, initially offered from December 2020 to all the population aged over 5, has now ended (30 June).
People in a clinical risk group or who develop a new health condition that places them in a clinical risk group, who haven’t yet had their primary course, will still be able to be vaccinated during the next COVID-19 booster vaccination campaign (or sooner, dependant on the advice of a clinician).
COVID-19 autumn 2023 booster campaign
The Joint Committee for Vaccinations and Immunisation advice recommends an additional COVID-19 autumn booster will be offered to:
- residents in a care home for older adults
- all adults aged 65 years and over
- persons aged 6 months to 64 years in a clinical risk group, as defined in tables 3 and 4 of the COVID-19 chapter of the Green Book
- frontline health and social care workers
- persons aged 12 to 64 years who are household contacts, as defined in the Green Book, of people with immunosuppression
- persons aged 16 to 64 years who are carers, as defined in the Green Book, and staff working in care homes for older adults
All eligible individuals will receive an appointment invitation from their local health board.
COVID-19 vaccination for children aged 6 months to 4 years
Children aged 6 months to 4 are eligible for a two dose primary course of COVID-19 vaccination if they are considered to be in the at risk category (as defined in in the Green Book (gov.uk)
Eligible children are given a lower dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, with an interval of at least 8 weeks between the first and second doses. The minimum interval between any vaccine dose and recent SARS-CoV-2 infection should be four weeks.
The parents or guardians of the children who qualify for this offer will be contacted directly by their health board.
Local health board contact details
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board
Hywel Dda University Health Board
Powys Teaching Health Board