The Croesbychan junction will connect Hirwaun and Llwydcoed and support the Cynon Valley Gateway scheme.
What we’re doing
- moving and re-planting ancient woodland
- laying a temporary road
- moving utilities
- building a bridge over the Vale of Neath railway line
- building a new road and roundabouts
We will build a new junction to replace the existing one. The junction and the road will be built mostly on embankment up to 42 ft (13m) high.
We will also build a viaduct over the Nant Melyn watercourse, which will carry the new A465. The existing Nant Melyn Viaduct will be used by Non-Motorized Users (NMUs) only.
We will build a temporary road to provide space for construction of the permanent road.
The work will be done in phases.
- carried out environmental surveys
- cleared vegetation ready for work to start
- started to prepare the site to move utilities
- dormice: checking that the new habitat provides the dormice with the same resources they had in their old habitat, before we move them from the existing site
- autumn 2021 to spring 2022: clearing vegetation ready for work to start
- from autumn 2021: we’ll put up fencing in the area
- winter 2021 to spring 2022: we’ll build a temporary roundabout to the west of Court Lodge Underbridge