Farmers must follow these rules if they apply for payments under the Basic Payment Scheme 2021.
The Cross Compliance rules have been updated. This is following the introduction of the Water Resources (Control of Agricultural Pollution) (Wales) Regulations 2021 to address agricultural pollution in Wales.
The Statutory Management Requirements (SMR) 1 Factsheet and associated sections of the Cross Compliance Verifiable Standards have been amended to reflect the requirements that apply to all land in Wales from 1 April 2021.
Please ensure you are familiar with the requirements and how they apply to your farm business.
You can find further information in the Control of Agricultural Pollution Regulations guidance available at https://gov.wales/farm-pollution.
The regulations apply to all land in Wales. Transitional periods have been provided for certain requirements, for land not previously falling within a Nitrate Vulnerable Zone (NVZ). Additional requirements will apply to all land in Wales from 1 January 2023 and 1 August 2024.
We have also updated the following factsheets, and associated sections of the Cross Compliance Verifiable Standards for 2021. These reflect changes in requirements, good practice and clarify wording.
- SMR 8: sheep and goat identification. We have updated the link to the Sheep and Goat Identification Guidance for Keepers 2018.
- SMR 10: restrictions on the use of plant protection products (PPP). The definition of PPP has been clarified. We have updated the Good Practice section. This covers qualifications, application equipment and weather conditions. We have included additional links to guidance. These concern the inspection of equipment and treatment records.
- SMR 11: Welfare standards for the Protection of Calves. Clarification of requirements on tethering, calf pen dimensions and feeding calves. Good Practice clarified on feeding milk from TB infected cattle.
- SMR 12: welfare standards for the protection of pigs. Clarification of the requirements on accommodation, tethering and tail-docking.
- SMR 13: welfare standards for the protection of animals kept for farming purposes. Updated to clarify what is considered good practice.
- GAEC 6: maintenance of soil and organic matter. Requirements for EIA screening clarified. Now including restructuring projects on all rural landholdings, including Common Land.
- GAEC 7: landscape features. Requirement to retain all ponds clarified to prevent the drainage/filling-in of part of a pond. Definition of Landscape Features expanded to include Environmentally Sensitive Permanent Grassland (ESPG).