Farmers must follow these rules if they apply for payments under the Basic Payment Scheme 2023.
The vast majority of Cross Compliance rules continue to apply as in 2022, but the following Factsheets and associated sections of the Verifiable Standards have been updated for 2023 to reflect changes in requirements, good practice and to clarify wording:
- SMR 1 – Water Protection – Factsheet and Verifiable Standards updated to reflect requirements applying to all land from 1 January 2023 under the Water Resources (Control of Agricultural Pollution) (Wales) Regulations 2021. The changes include requirements to produce and update risk maps, nutrient management planning and storage of farmyard manures.
Additional requirements will apply to all land from 1 April 2023 and 1 August 2024, as part of the agreed transition period for land not previously in a Nitrate Vulnerable Zone (NVZ).
Please ensure you are familiar with the requirements and how they apply to your farm business.
You can find further information in The Water Resources (Control of Agricultural Pollution) (Wales) Regulations 2021: guidance for farmers and land managers.
- SMR 3 – Conservation of Fauna and Flora – Factsheet updated to include links to relevant legislation.
- SMR 4 – Food and Feed Law – Minor changes to Factsheet and Verifiable Standards, clarifying wording of requirements.
- SMR 10 – Restrictions on the use of Plant Protection Products (PPP) – Clarification of PPP definition. Good Practice section updated to include legal requirement for professional PPP users to register with the competent authority (DEFRA).
- SMR 13 – Welfare Standards for Farmed Animals – Link to Codes of Practice included under Field Checks section of Factsheet.
- GAEC 7 – Landscape Features – Updated reference to relevant legislation. Farmers reminded under Good Practice to check location and extent of Scheduled Ancient Monuments on land, via Cof Cymru or by contacting CADW.