Dowlais Top junction will provide access to the A4060, Dowlais Top high street and Pengarnddu industrial estate.
What we're doing
- moving utilities
- building a temporary road
- building a slip road
- building a bridge at Jones street
- building bridges
- creating lapwing habitat
- building a temporary roundabout
We have created 2 temporary roundabouts at the junction. These are needed to help build 2 new bridges. These will carry the A465 over the completed junction to join the A465 dual carriageway. The 2 temporary roundabouts will eventually be replaced with a new single roundabout.
The road will be built on embankment up to 30ft (9m) above the existing level.
We will create a new lapwing habitat to the east of the junction.
We will move utilities, including overhead high voltage cables to build the new road.
- cleared vegetation
- built two temporary roundabouts to improve traffic flow and create space to build two bridges
- diverted traffic onto the eastbound carriageway
- set-up a temporary site for the construction team
- investigated and carried-out treatment work on mineworks
- undertaken extensive earthworks
- diverted utilities
- started construction work for the new bridges at the existing roundabout
- installed a new pedestrian bridge at Dowlais Ponds. (Opening date TBC)
- ongoing construction of the two bridges that will carry the A465 over the existing roundabout
- placing earth to create the embankment for the new A465 dual carriageway
- ongoing diversion of utilities.