This report focusses on assessing progress made to date and beginning to explore the evidence of emerging outcomes.
This is not the latest release in the series: Evaluation of the Creative Learning through the Arts programme
The findings at this stage of the evaluation continue to be generally positive. Some key areas for further development, refinement or improvement in order to fully realise the aims and potential of Creative Learning through the Arts (CLTA) are identified.
- Teachers, pupils and staff involved with the Lead Creative Schools report progress being made on the delivery of the programme and some evidence of positive outcomes being achieved.
- Data provided by teachers indicates a general correlation between involvement in the intervention and improvement in pupil performance and attainment. This needs further analysis and attempts are being made to gather National Pupil Database data for more in depth objective analysis in future reports.
- ‘Softer’ outcomes for pupils reported by teachers included increased engagement in activities, increased confidence or self-esteem and improvement in pupil collaboration.
- Arts Champions in each of the networks were regarded as key sources of information and provided a link to provision ‘on the ground’.
- Issues around suitability of Welsh medium provision were raised across some networks. Some network co-ordinators also said they experienced difficulties engaging with Welsh medium schools
An overarching conclusion given by the contractor illustrates the current position:
"The scale of CLTA is considerable, and during the current (2017/18) and next (2018/19) year of the programme, hundreds more teachers, Creative Agents and Creative Practitioners will benefit from the provision throughout Wales. The programme is therefore providing capacity within both the education and arts sectors that had not existed previously."
Evaluation of the Creative Learning through the Arts programme: report 3 (interim evaluation) , file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
Telephone: 0300 062 5485
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.