In this page
Point to note
If you are using this scheme to provide awards of subsidy, you must inform the Subsidy Control Unit – email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Title of subsidy scheme
Event Wales, Business Events Grant Scheme aligned to the Culture and Sport grant funding schemes in place as part of the National Events Strategy for Wales 2023-2030.
3. UK legal basis
Section 60(1) of the Government of Wales Act 2006
4. Objectives of the scheme
Event Wales is not a recurring grant giving body or sponsor. We operate as a time-limited strategic investor to support the establishment of new events, development and growth of existing events, or to attract major international events to Wales which can deliver economic, social and other positive impacts to Wales.
- The purpose of Event Wales funding is not to relieve budget pressures and will therefore not be provided for existing core event delivery costs. We are also unable to fund capital costs or performer fees. Instead, we aim to bring added value to an event, through support for new or enhanced event related activities, which deliver positive economic and social impacts to Wales and/or raise Wales’ international profile (or to prevent the discontinuation of such activities which would have a detrimental effect on existing impacts), such as: Marketing and promotion activity to attract additional or new audiences to the awareness of Wales as a business events destination, and to leverage the Cymru Wales brand in international tourism and business markets.
- Attracting strategic business events that align to the Welsh Government key sectors and support the Wellbeing for Future Generations, International Strategy for Wales and The National Event Strategy for Wales 2022-2030.
Maximise the contribution of business events to Wales and develop Wales’ reputation for delivering safe, sustainable and high-quality business events, that create an excellent experience for attendees, delegates and visitors.
5. Public authority(ies) authorised to implement the scheme
6. Category(ies) of eligible enterprise
The subsidy applies to various types of global Business Events organisations but not limited to event organisers, event planners, convention bureaus, destination management organisations, universities and associations.
7. Sector(s) to be supported
Other service activities.
8. Duration of the scheme
1 January 2024 – 31 March 2030 – aligned to the National Event Strategy for Wales 2022 – 2030.
9. Budget for aid under the scheme
Estimated at £2,000,000 for the duration of the project but limited to £100,000 per annum between £5,000 to £25,000 per application as standard.
10. Form of support
All subsidy awarded under the Scheme will be awarded by way of grants.
11. Eligibility terms and conditions
To be eligible for support, the following criteria applies:
- The business event should attract a minimum of 100 out-of-Wales event attendees/ delegates to the destination for a minimum of one night. Out of state attendees are visitors who are not from Wales. Day visitors and virtual attendees are not included in the funding criteria, however these figures count towards outputs for showcasing Wales as a destination for business and leisure visits
- The business event must be held in Wales and include use of overnight accommodation in Wales
- The business event must demonstrate that it would not come to Wales or be able to add significant added value to Wales unless support is provided
The subject areas of the business event should support Wales’ economic, event, tourism, social and cultural priorities.
12. Basis for calculating subsidies
The subsidy is for international event planners and event organisers of Business Events that align with Welsh Government’s key sector priorities who are planning on bringing a business to Wales. Sectors include but are not limited to cyber security, compound semiconductors, high value manufacturing, fintech, life sciences, renewables, creative industries, food and drink and tourism.
13. Maximum subsidy allowable under the scheme
£25,000 as standard unless in exceptional circumstances where the application can clearly demonstrate a significant added value if hosted in Wales.
14. Contact information
Subsidy Control Unit
Cardiff CF10 3NQ
Telephone: + 44 (0)3000 604 400
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.