This consultation ended 4 October 2022.
Summary of outcome
The phase 1 consultation is closed. Have your say at phase 2.
Details of outcome
Summary of responses , file type: PDF, file size: 354 KB
Responses from local authorities , file type: PDF, file size: 746 KB
We are seeking your views in this Phase 1 Consultation on reforms to Council Tax in Wales. There will be a Phase 2 consultation in due course.
We are seeking views on:
- completing a Council Tax revaluation of all 1.5 million properties in Wales to rebalance the system to reflect property values. The current system is now nearly 20 years out of date
- designing a new system of bands and tax rates that is more progressive, including considering adding more bands to the top and bottom ends of the scale if needed
- revaluing more frequently to keep Council Tax fairly distributed on a more regular basis.
- improving the framework of discounts, disregarded persons, exemptions and premiums to ensure the arrangements are aligned to our goals
- improving the Council Tax Reduction Scheme which provides support to low-income households