Information on personnel, equality and diversity, health and safety, operational activities and fire safety visits for April 2018 to March 2019.
Fire and rescue authority personnel
- There were 2,096 fulltime equivalent staff (FTE) and 1,331 retained duty system (RDS) staff employed across the three Welsh Fire and Rescue Authority areas on 31 March 2019.
- This compares with 2,139 fulltime and 1,328 retained staff on 31 March 2018. The numbers of FTE and RDS staff have seen fluctuations since 2004-05, but this is the first drop in numbers since 2015-16. Of the 2,096 FTE staff, two thirds (1,414) were wholetime firefighters, a similar proportion to earlier years.
Health and safety
- During 2018-19, 9.9 shifts/days were lost per person to sickness for wholetime firefighters and 22.7 shifts/days for fire control staff.
- There were 144 injuries sustained by wholetime (including day crew) and retained duty system firefighters in the course of operational and training activities.
- During 2018-19 fire control handled over 80,000 calls in Wales, an increase of 14% on 2017-18.
- In 2018-19, Welsh Fire and Rescue Authorities completed 3,409 fire safety audits in non-domestic premises. This represents 4% of known such premises in Wales.
Community fire safety
- In 2018-19 the Fire and Rescue Authorities in Wales completed over 51,000 Home Fire Safety Checks; in 96% of these at least one member of the household was identified as displaying a risk.
- In 2018-19 the Fire and Rescue Authorities completed almost 18,000 Home Fire Safety Checks that also involved completion of non-fire related prevention activity. Almost 1,600 resulted in the Fire and Rescue Authorities making an onward referral to another organisation.
- Nearly 115,000 children and young people received a fire safety talk in school from the Fire and Rescue Authorities in 2018-19.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6699
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.