Free bus and train travel advice across Wales for refugees.
The free travel scheme started on 26 March 2022 and will continue until 31 March 2024. Arrangements for after 31 March 2024 are being considered.
The scheme provides unlimited travel on:
- the majority of local bus services
- Transport for Wales rail services across Wales
- bus and Transport for Wales train services that start AND finish in Wales
The scheme is available to refugees travelling to Wales searching for a safe haven.
The scheme is available for all refugees and those seeking international protection in Wales, in line with our Nation of Sanctuary vision on production of one of the following:
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) marked that someone is a ‘Refugee’, has ‘HP’ or ‘Humanitarian Protection’, or includes the words ‘Afghan’, ‘Ukraine’ or ‘Hong Kong’;
- personally addressed letter issued by the Home Office / Home Secretary confirming anyone of the statuses listed in the above bullet
- valid Ukrainian, Afghan or Hong Kong British National Overseas passport.
Using the scheme
There is no need to apply to participate in this scheme.
If you are unable to produce valid proof of the above free travel will not be provided and standard fares will apply.
Fraudulent use will result in free transport being withdrawn immediately and reported to the relevant authorities. This may lead to prosecution.
Individual operator conditions of carriage apply for journeys made.
Payment and pre-booking
For eligible people there is no cost to travel if you can provide one of the forms of ID required. You will be issued with a zero value travel ticket from the bus driver.
The journey is free and you will not have to pay.