How we are changing the role of ports in the economy, whilst supporting fair work and the transition to net zero.
The Freeport Programme in Wales offers an opportunity to harness Wales’s abundant economic potential.
We worked with the UK Government to design a freeport model, which delivers three main objectives:
- Promote regeneration and high quality job creation
- Establish the Freeport as a national hub for global trade and investment across the economy
- Foster an innovative environment
In return, businesses will benefit from being part of a special zone. This includes:
- simplified customs procedures
- relief on customs duties
- tax benefits
- development flexibility
The programme includes our policies on fair work and social partnership to ensure workers:
- are fairly rewarded, heard and represented
- can progress in a secure, healthy, and inclusive working environment
- have their rights respected
A Welsh freeport must operate within:
- the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015
- the Welsh Government’s net zero commitments
Freeport Programme in Wales bidding prospectus
The plan is delivered in partnership with the UK Government.
See the plan on GOV.UK: Freeport Programme in Wales: bidding prospectus
If you have any questions, please contact Freeports@gov.wales