Information on the number of registered patients and workforce age distribution for 2017.
This is not the latest release in the series: General practice workforce
A number of data quality issues have been identified with the source data for this report. Full details are provided in the statistical report. It is advised that the numbers presented in this report are treated with caution.
The number of GP practitioners in Wales fell between 2016 and 2017, but was largely offset by an increase in GP locums. However data quality issues mean that the fall in GP practitioners is likely to be overstated. Overall the total number of GPs (including locums, registrars and retainers) was very similar to the number in 2016.
- There were 1,926 GP practitioners in 2017, 83 (or 4.1%) less than in 2016, however an alternative source suggests this fall may be as few as 26.
- There were 754 GP locums in 2017, 70 (or 10.2%) more than in 2016 continuing the trend of increasing numbers of GP locums.
- There were 239 GP registrars (GP trainees) in 2017, up 7 from 2016.
- A more complete measure of GPs is to include all GP practitioners, locums, retainers and registrars. In total there were 2,936 in 2017, 8 fewer than 2016 (0.3%).
- Additional analysis shows that of the 212 GP practitioners leaving the workforce between 2016 and 2017, just over half re-joined as a GP locum. Therefore the leavers figures should not be used as those no longer working as a GP.
- GP practices are becoming fewer in number, but are tending to have more GPs per practice.
- The trend of a growing female GP practitioner workforce has continued.
GPs in Wales, as at 30 September 2017 , file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Registered patients and number of GP practitioners by practice, 2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 94 KB
GP practice populations by gender and age group, 2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 223 KB
GP practitioners by age and cluster, 2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 61 KB
GP workforce by cluster, 2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 146 KB
Registered patients by practice, 2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 146 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 0058
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.