Information on the number of registered patients and workforce age distribution, as at 30 September 2021.
This is not the latest release in the series: General practice workforce
The main source of data used is the Wales National Workforce Reporting System (WNWRS) which has been supplied and validated by NHS Shared Services Partnership. Statistics from this source are in their infancy, therefore this release is classed as experimental statistics.
- 391 active GP practices.
- 2,038 GP practitioners (includes partners, providers and salaried GPs but excludes registrars, retainers and locums).
- 426 GP registrars (trainees on GP speciality training programme, currently placed in a GP practice).
- 28 GP retainers (a GP practitioner on the GP retainer scheme, only able to practice a maximum of 4 clinical sessions a week).
- 1,397 registered nurses.
- 1,252 direct patient care staff.
- 5,338 administrative or other non-clinical practice staff.
- 459 GP locums actively had work recorded within the Locum Hub Wales system between 1 July and 30 September 2021.
Datasets and interactive tools
General practice workforce, as at 30 September 2021 , file type: ODS, file size: 23 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 5101
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.