Information on the number of registered patients and workforce age distribution, as at 31 December 2020, 31 March and 30 June 2021.
This is not the latest release in the series: General practice workforce
The main source of data used is the Wales National Workforce Reporting System (WNWRS). Data has been sourced from this system and been subject to full validation processes by NHS Shared Services Partnership. Statistics from this source are in their infancy, therefore this release is classed as experimental statistics.
Main points as at 30 June 2021
- 392 active GP practices.
- 2,002 GP practitioners (includes partners, providers and salaried GPs but excludes registrars, retainers and locums).
- 367 GP registrars (trainees on GP speciality training programme, currently placed in a GP practice).
- 28 GP retainers (a GP practitioner on the GP retainer scheme, only able to practice a maximum of 4 clinical sessions a week).
- Data is now published for locums working in practices for the first time (as of the quarter ending 30 June 2021); this is captured by locums recording details of shifts undertaken within the Locum Hub Wales system; 412 GP locums undertook a shift during 1 April to 30 June 2021.
- 1,408 registered nurses.
- 1,237 direct patient care staff.
- 5,345 administrative or other non-clinical practice staff.
Datasets and interactive tools
General practice workforce: 31 December 2020 to 30 June 2021 , file type: ODS, file size: 85 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 5101
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.