What to do and who to contact if you are affected, or suspect someone's at risk of virginity testing and hymenoplasty.
It is now illegal to carry out, offer or aid and abet virginity testing or hymenoplasty in any part of the UK, as part of the Health and Care Act 2022.
These offences carry a maximum sentence of 5 years imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.
If you are affected, or have concerns about someone you know that could be at risk of virginity testing or hymenoplasty, contact:
- The Police: Call 999 as an emergency or 101 for your local police force, if the victim is not in immediate danger.
- The Live Fear Free helpline: Call 0808 801 0800.
- BAWSO: Call 0800 731 8147.
- KARMA NIRVANA: Call 0800 5999 247.
- The Forced Marriage Unit.
- Your local GP, nurse, hospital, Social Services or education provider.