What we will do to reduce the effect of grey squirrels on red squirrel populations and woodlands.
Grey squirrel management action plan for Wales , file type: PDF, file size: 1 MB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email email@example.com. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
We published our management action plan in November 2018. It sets out actions for the management of grey squirrel populations to:
- reduce the impact on red squirrel populations
- reduce the impact on trees and woodland ecosystems, and
- reduce the impact on the services they provide, such as timber production
The plan does not aim to eradicate grey squirrels from Wales. It:
- aims to encourage the management of grey squirrel populations. This is where it is feasible to do so, and where the benefits are greatest.
- recognises the need for a collaborative partnership approach to the grey squirrel management
- supports the Red Squirrel Conservation Plan for Wales. This maximises the benefit to red squirrel populations. It also promotes existing best practice developed for grey squirrel management.