The Hirwaun junction will connect Brecon road, Hirwaun road and the current A465 road, and allow the new A465 dual carriageway to pass below the junction.
What we’re doing
- archaeological investigations
- demolishing existing properties
- laying temporary road
- building bridges
- installing drainage and culverts
- moving utilities
- building a roundabout
To build this road, we will cut up to 40 feet (12.5 metres) into the surface.
We will build a bridge built over the A465 to provide access to the Mynydd Bwllfa wind farm.
We will build a roundabout at Trewaun to connect Penywaun and Hirwaun. We will build 2 bridges to connect Brecon road to the A465.
We will build a temporary road to provide space for the new road. There will be no access to the A465 at the new Hirwaun Junction.
- cleared vegetation and site to prepare for construction.
- undertaken archaeological investigation next to the windfarm access road.
- diverted utilities to move services from the construction area.
- demolished building within the scheme area.
- constructed new Hirwaun West Bridge substructure, erected precast concrete beams for bridge deck construction.
- constructed new temporary highway to create space to build the Hirwaun East bridge.
- diverted traffic onto temporary roundabout to allow for bridge construction.
- installed new drainage culvert under Hirwaun Road.
- commenced construction of the Hirwaun East bridge.
- temporary road opened on A465 to create space to build Trewaun retaining walls.
- constructing a retaining wall next to the houses in Trewaun.
- extending the temporary road from Tramway to a new temporary roundabout to be located to the west of the current layout at the Hirwaun (Trewaun) junction.
- relocating the temporary roundabout at Hirwaun (Trewaun) to a new location further east at Windfarm Road.
- commence construction of new westbound A465 carriageway between Vale of Neath and Hirwaun.
- ongoing work to construct Hirwaun East overbridge that will connect Brecon Road to Hirwaun Road (A4059).