Data on the number of households applying to local authorities for housing assistance under the Housing Wales Act 2014 and the number of households in temporary accommodation for April 2019 i March 2020.
This is not the latest release in the series: Homelessness statistics
The data may be subject to quarterly fluctuations and seasonal factors such as holidays and weather. These statistics are not seasonally adjusted. Additional information is available within the accompanying Quality Report.
Households threatened with homelessness
- 9,993 households were threatened with homelessness, a decrease of 7% on 2018-19.
- Homelessness was successfully prevented for at least 56 days in 67% of cases.
Homelessness prevention is where a local authority takes positive action to provide housing assistance to someone who the authority considers is threatened with homelessness within 56 days.
Homeless households owed a duty to help secure accommodation
- 12,399 households were assessed as homeless and owed a duty to help secure accommodation, a 6% increase on 2018-19.
- Homeless households were successfully helped to secure accommodation in 41% of cases.
Following notification that an applicant is homeless, the local authority will be under a duty (Section 73) to take reasonable steps to help to secure accommodation.
Homeless households, unintentionally homeless and in priority need
- 3,060 households were identified as unintentionally homeless and in priority need, a 16% increase on 2018-19.
- Homeless households accepted an offer of settled suitable accommodation in 78% of cases.
If the household is homeless, has a priority need and is unintentionally homeless, the local authority will be under a duty to secure suitable accommodation.
- At 31 March 2020, 2,324 households were placed in temporary accommodation, an increase of 4% on March 2019.
- At 31 March 2020, 496 households were placed in temporary B&B accommodation, an increase of 68% on March 2019.
National lockdown measures went into effect on 23 March 2020 which has affected the total of households in temporary accommodation at 31 March 2020.
Homelessness, April 2019 to March 2020 , file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 061 5675
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.