Independent Commission on the Constitutional Future of Wales meeting: 16 March 2022
Minutes of the commission's meeting on 16 March 2022.
In this page
- Laura McAllister
- Rowan Williams
- Anwen Elias
- Miguela Gonzalez
- Michael Marmot
- Lauren McEvatt
- Albert Owen
- Philip Rycroft
- Shavanah Taj
- Kirsty Williams
- Leanne Wood
Item 3 only
- Rt Hon Professor Carwyn Jones
- Rt Hon Lord Paul Murphy
Item 4 only
- Rt Hon Simon Hart MP, Secretary of State for Wales
- Neil O'Brien MP, Minister for Levelling Up, the Union and Constitution
Item 6 only
- The Lord Dunlop
- Gareth Williams, Expert Panel
- Gareth Morgan, Deputy Director and Head of Secretariat
- Carys Evans, Advisor
- Heulwen Mai Vaughan, Secretary
- Victoria Martin, Policy Lead
- Tessa Hajilambi, Office Manager
Item 1: Welcome from the Co-Chairs
1. The Co-Chairs welcomed the commissioners to the meeting.
2. The commission noted the progress made against the actions from the last meeting, and agreed that the high-level minutes should be published on the commission's website.
Item 2: Work Programme
3. The commission discussed the forward work programme and engagement strategy.
Item 3: Labour Party's Constitution Commission
4. The Co-Chairs welcomed Rt Hon Professor Carwyn Jones and Rt Hon Lord Paul Murphy. They discussed the scope and focus of the Labour Party's Constitution Commission and identified areas of potential common interest.
Item 4: UK government
5. The Co-Chairs welcomed Simon Hart MP, Secretary of State for Wales and Neil O'Brien MP, Minister for Levelling Up, the Union and Constitution. A wide-ranging discussion was held on a number of topics including: the UK government's Levelling Up White Paper, Intergovernmental Relations and Shared Prosperity Fund.
Item 5: A values-based approach
6. The commission discussed a values-based approach to delivering the objectives of the commission.
Item 6: Lord Dunlop
7. The Co-Chairs welcomed Lord Andrew Dunlop. Lord Dunlop's report, Review of UK Government Union Capability, was discussed, and a range of topics raised, including Sewel Convention, recent intergovernmental reform and the Internal Market Act.
Item 7: AOB
8. The Co-Chairs thanked the members for their contributions during the meeting. They agreed that there was a great deal to reflect upon and take forward.
For further information, please contact: ConstitutionCommission@gov.wales