Learner outcomes data by level of study, type of learning aim, sector/subject area and learner characteristics for August 2021 to July 2022.
This is the latest release in the series: Learner outcome measures for further education, work-based learning and adult community learning
- The success rate of apprenticeships was 14.6 percentage points lower in 2021/22 than before the pandemic in 2018/19, falling from 80.9% to 66.3% (r).
- More learners left their apprenticeship early for employment elsewhere in 2021/22.
- The largest decreases in success rate were for foundation apprenticeships; apprenticeships in the Health, Public Services and Care; Hospitality and Catering; and Hair and Beauty sector subject areas; and those taken by apprentices aged 20 to 24.
- The gap in success rate between learners living in the most deprived areas and the least deprived areas widened compared to 2018/19.
- The success rate of adult learning courses was 7.9 (r) percentage points lower in 2021/22 than in 2018/19.
- Activities delivered by local authorities via further education (FE) institutions had the biggest drop in success when compared to 2018/19
- There was a rise in English for Speakers of Other Languages activities taken that partially explains the decrease in success rate.
- 1,825 of traineeship leavers transferred to other learning in March 2022, in line with the end of the traineeships scheme.
- Of the leavers who did not transfer in March, 72.0% (r) made some kind of positive progression.
The standard outcome measures were not produced in academic years 2019/20 and 2020/21 due to the pandemic. Special reports were produced on Outcomes for learners in post-16 education affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
This report has been revised. There was an issue with the duplication of records, and adult learning records delivered by Flintshire were incorrectly excluded. The issue affected 4.0% of adult learning records and 0.5% of apprenticeship records.
The overall adult learning success was previously reported as 82.9% and has been revised to 81.6%. The overall apprenticeship success rate was previously reported as 66.4% and has been revised to 66.3%. The trends in the report have not changed.
Learner outcome measures for work-based learning and adult learning, August 2021 to July 2022 (revised) , file type: PDF, file size: 966 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Learner outcome measures for work-based learning and adult learning: August 2021 to July 2022 (revised) , file type: ODS, file size: 31 KB
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.