Skip to main content

You own a leasehold property for a fixed period of time. You will have a legal agreement with the landlord (also known as the freeholder) about how long you will own the property.

Most flats are leasehold. Houses can be leasehold but are usually bought through shared ownership.

Problems with leasehold

Leasehold Advisory Service

For advice about leaseholds contact the Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE).

If you’re unable to resolve the problem and still unhappy, you can contact the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal in Wales.

Leasehold valuation tribunals

The Leasehold Valuation Tribunal in Wales looks into and makes decisions when disputes happen.

They deal with:

  • disputes about leaseholds
  • disputes about leasehold service charges
  • disputes when someone who owns the leasehold (known as the tenant) wants to buy or extend a lease on a house or flat
  • applications from groups of tenants who want to set up a group, known as ‘tenants associations’
  • disputes about ‘tenant associations’