How we manage the roads we own in Wales.
Improving our roads
WelTAG is an important part of our Llwybr Newydd: Wales Transport Strategy. It helps us to take into account important factors like:
- the environment, biodiversity and climate change
- the health and well-being of future generations.
Watch our video to find out more about how we use WelTAG for road projects:
We are responsible for about 1516km of major A roads (known as trunk roads) and 178km of motorway in Wales.
It’s important that we look after them to keep them fit for purpose and safe for users.
We use 2 public sector organisations called Trunk Road Agents (TRAs) to run and look after our roads on our behalf:
They are responsible for:
- looking after our road verges and green corridors, and help to protect the wildlife on our roads
- monitoring the network and offering support during incidents
- maintaining bridges, tunnels and transport technology
- delivering maintenance and improvement schemes to ensure safer and smoother journeys
Traffic officers patrol the network to help keep road users safe: road network map.
They’re supported by control room operators who set signs and signals to alert road users to hazards.