Information on the risks of motorcycling, bike engine capacity, time of accidents, local conditions and junction location for 2016.
This is the latest release in the series: Motorcycle user casualties
- The total number of motorcyclist casualties on Welsh roads declined in 2016, when compared to 2015 figures (12% decrease).
- There were 254 motorcyclist casualties that were killed or seriously injured (KSI) on Welsh roads. Of this 22 were fatal and 232 were seriously injured.
- 408 motorcyclist casualties were slightly injured.
- Although motorcyclists accounted for just 0.7% of traffic in Wales in 2016, they represent a far higher share of killed or seriously injured motor vehicle drivers (41%).
- The majority of motorcyclists that were KSI (93%) or slightly (92%) injured were males.
- 46% of motorcyclist casualties were under 30 and 54% were aged 30 and over.
- The vast majority of motorcyclist casualties on Welsh roads in 2016 occurred in fine weather conditions.
- 84% of motorcyclist casualties occur in fine weather compared to 12% of casualties occurring in rainy weather conditions.
- Less than 2% of casualties occurred in other weather conditions (including fog/mist, snow or unknown conditions).
Motorcycle user casualties, 2016 , file type: PDF, file size: 926 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
Datasets and interactive tools
Statistician: Ryan Pike
Telephone: 0300 025 6415
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.