Data on fixed penalty notices, court proceedings, drug and drink driving offences, and breath tests for 2018.
Fixed penalty notices (FPNs)
- In 2018, police and traffic wardens issued 74,500 FPNs in Wales, a decrease of 13% compared with 2017. Speed limit offences accounted for 73% (54,500) of these.
- In recent years FPNs have fallen steadily from over 112,000 in 2012.
- 56,300 motoring offenders were prosecuted in Wales in 2018.
- The most common groups of offences were 'speed limit offences' (17,300), 'vehicle registration and excise licence offences' (10,700) and 'vehicle insurance offences' (10,400).
Accidents involving drink driving
- In 2017, an estimated 5% of all recorded accidents in Wales involved one or more drivers impaired by alcohol. For accidents resulting in killed or seriously injured casualties the proportion was higher, at 8%.
- 13% of motor vehicle drivers killed in Wales were found to have had a blood alcohol level over the legal limit, compared with 15% in Great Britain.
Screening breath tests
- In 2018, 37,000 screening breath tests were carried out in Wales. 4,500 of these tests (12%) were positive or refused, a fall of 1.6% compared with 2017.
The reports ‘Motoring offenders’ and ‘Drinking and driving’ have been combined into one report to simplify the user experience.
Motoring offences, 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 700 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6415
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.