The Woodland Investment Grant will create, restore and enhance woodlands.
The Woodland Investment Grant will create, restore and enhance woodlands. It is part of the National Forest for Wales programme.
With a successful pilot delivered last year, a new round with 1.9 million funding opened on 13 June. The programme is jointly funded by us and the National Heritage Lottery Fund.
This scheme will provide financial support for people to:
- create new woodlands
- enhance and expand existing woodlands
in accordance with the UK Forestry Standard.
These woodlands must have the potential to be part of the National Forest network in the future. This means woodlands that:
- are well-managed
- are accessible to people
- give local communities the opportunity to get involved in woodlands and nature
The scheme will offer:
- grants of £40,000 – £250,000 (we will consider exceptional projects costing more)
- up to 100% funding
- up to 2 years to deliver the project
- capital and revenue funding
- funding which can be blended with other complimentary grants and sources of funding,
- advice and support to plan your project and on how to apply
The scheme is open to landowners and managers including not-for-profit organisations.
You can find details of application deadlines and key dates at: The Woodland Invest Grant (TWIG) (on National Lottery Heritage Fund).
How to apply
Before applying applicants should read the guidance and speak to The National Lottery Heritage Fund.
It is expected applicants will have:
- applied for any necessary consents or permissions
- a Woodland Creation plan if over 2 hectares
- a forest management plan
- an Environmental Impact assessment or applied for one
To apply visit the National Lottery Heritage Fund application portal on (heritagefund.org.uk).
We are planning a further round later in the year.
For further information, contact: NationalForestWales@gov.wales.