Number of patients receiving NHS dental treatment, the type of treatments provided and the numbers of NHS dentists for April 2017 to March 2018.
Patients treated in the 24 months before 31 March 2018
- 1.7 million patients (55.0% of the population) were treated in the 24 month period ending March 2018. 52.0% of adults were treated, slightly decreasing from the previous period; as well as 66.9% of children, increasing slightly from the previous period.
Patient charges between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018
- 45.2% of all courses of treatment were for paying adults.
- The total patient charge for this amounted to £35.5 million, an increase of 2.1% when compared to the patient charge of £34.7 million in 2016-17.
Activity between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018
- 4.9 million units of dental activity were carried out in 2017-18, a decrease of 2.7% compared with 2016-17. This represented approximately 2.4 million individual NHS dental courses of treatment, a decrease of 0.4% compared with 2016–17.
Workforce between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018
- A total of 1,479 dentists who had NHS activity were recorded between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018. There were 4.7 dentists per 10,000 population, which was the same as the previous year.
NHS dental services, April 2017 to March 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 1 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
NHS dental services, April 2017 to March 2018: annex tables , file type: ODS, file size: 86 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 0058
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.