The report presents NHS expenditure by programme of care allocated based on the medical condition the expenditure relates to for April 2017 to March 2018.
This is not the latest release in the series: NHS expenditure programme budgets
- Total expenditure for all programme budget categories was £6,535 million or £2,091 per head of the population.
- Total expenditure in 2017-18 was 2.4% higher than expenditure in 2016-17 and 29.2% higher from a decade ago.
- The programme budget category with the biggest increase (excluding ‘other’ and ‘infectious diseases’) was ‘mental health problems’, which increased by £34 million (4.8%) from 2016-17.
- The largest single programme budget category (excluding ‘other’) was ‘mental health problems’ with 11.4% of the total.
- Spending per head of the population on clinical programmes, ranged from £11.57 on hearing problems to £238.79 on mental health problems.
NHS expenditure programme budgets, April 2017 to March 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 610 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.