The report presents NHS expenditure by programme of care allocated based on the medical condition the expenditure relates to for April 2018 to March 2019.
This is not the latest release in the series: NHS expenditure programme budgets
- Total expenditure for all programme budget categories was £6.8 billion or £2,167 per head of the population.
- Total expenditure in 2018-19 was 4.1% higher than expenditure in 2017-18 and 30.1% higher from a decade ago.
- The programme budget category with the biggest increase (excluding ‘other’) was ‘cancers and tumours’, which increased by £34 million (7.3%) from 2017-18.
- The largest single programme budget category (excluding ‘other’) was ‘mental health problems’ with 11.1% of the total.
- Spending per head of the population on clinical programmes (excluding ‘other’) ranged from £11.73 on ‘hearing problems’ to £240.82 on ‘mental health problems’.
NHS expenditure programme budgets, April 2018 to March 2019 , file type: PDF, file size: 552 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.