Skip to main content

Planning permission is not normally required for installation or replacement of a boiler or heating system if all the work is internal, though if you live in a listed building you should check with your local planning authority.

If the installation requires a flue outside, however, it will normally be permitted development if the conditions outlined below are met.

  • Flues on the rear or side elevation of the building are allowed to a maximum of one metre above the highest part of the roof.
  • If the building is in a designated area, such as a conservation area, a national park, an area of outstanding natural beauty or the Broads, planning permission will be required.
  • If the building is listed , even if you enjoy permitted development rights, Listed Building Consent will be required. Consent is also likely to be needed for internal alterations.It is advisable to check with your local planning authority before commencing works.  

Additional rights are also available for installations of flues relating to biomass and combined heat and power systems.

If the project also requires an outside building to store fuel or related equipment the same rules apply to that building as for other extensions and garden outbuildings.

Read more about planning and extensions.

Read more about planning and outbuildings.