Skip to main content

If you intend to demolish your house, part of your house or any outbuildings, the Local Planning Authority may have to agree the details of how you intend to carry out the demolition and how you propose to restore the site afterwards.

You will need to apply for a formal decision on whether the Local Planning Authority  wishes to approve these details before you start demolition. This is what is called a "prior approval application" and your Local Planning Authority will be able to explain what this  involves.

Urgent demolition

Where demolition is urgently necessary in the interests of safety or health you must, as soon as reasonably practicable, give the Local Planning Authority written justification for the demolition.

Listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas

You may need listed building or conservation area consent for the demolition of listed buildings or buildings within conservation areas.

You should discuss this with your Local Planning Authority before you take any decision to demolish buildings in sensitive locations to avoid the risk of legal action being taken against you.