Skip to main content

You do not normally need to apply for planning permission to re-roof your house or to insert roof lights or skylights.

The permitted development rules allow for roof alterations without the need for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

  • any alteration to the roof cannot project more than 150 millimetres from the existing roof plane
  • alterations cannot be higher than the highest part of the roof
  • side facing windows need to be obscure-glazed and non-opening if they are installed in the side elevation of a dwellinghouse that is within 10.5 metres of a side boundary of the house
  • the appearance of the materials used must, as far as possible, match the appearance of those used on your existing roof
  • roof lights are not permitted in conservations area, national parks, areas of outstanding natural beauty or World Heritage Sites
  • the permitted development regime for solar panels has different limits on projections and in relation to protected areas
  • planning permission is required if the roof light would result in the provision of a roof terrace, whether or not it would incorporate associated railings, fencing or other means of enclosure.

Solar panelsView guidance on the planning and building regulations regime for solar panels.

Please note: the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. View guidance on flats and maisonettes here.

Removal of permitted development rights

You need to be aware of whether the permitted development rights have been removed from your property by the Local Planning Authority. If they have been removed, you must submit a planning application for the work.

The Local Planning Authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights as a condition of the original planning permission for your property. This information will be available on the planning register held by the Local Planning Authority. Permitted development rights may also have been removed by an 'Article 4' direction. These are most common in conservation areas where the character of an area could be threatened by unmanaged development. Your solicitor should have informed you of whether an article 4 direction exists when you purchased your property, but you can check with the Local Planning Authority if you are not sure.

Householder guide

The Welsh Government has produced a technical guide, and a householder guide, available here, to help you understand how permitted development rules might apply to your circumstances.