The Minister for Finance and Local Government, Rebecca Evans, has announced Ruth Glazzard as the Welsh Government’s preferred candidate to become the next chair of the Welsh Revenue Authority (WRA).
The announcement follows a recommendation by an Advisory Assessment Panel, after a fair and open recruitment exercise conducted between May and July 2022.
The post of WRA chair is a Ministerial public appointment regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments. The current chair, Kathryn Bishop, steps down in October 2022 after 5 years.
Before the next WRA chair is appointed by the Minister, the Senedd Finance Committee will hold a pre-appointment hearing on Thursday 22 September 2022.
- Senedd Committees have the option to conduct pre-appointment hearings for significant Welsh Government Ministerial appointments. The purpose of such hearings is to scrutinise the public appointment making process and to take a view on the suitability of the preferred candidate. A pre-appointment hearing was also conducted before the first WRA chair was appointed in 2017.
- Following the pre-appointment hearing, the Senedd Finance Committee will issue a report setting out its views. A final decision about this appointment will be made by the Minister for Finance and Local Government.
- Ruth is currently the Vice Chair of Digital Health and Care Wales, and a member of the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales.
- Ruth also holds non-executive roles with a housing association and a social enterprise, and recently held an interim board role with the Centre for Digital Public Services Wales.
- Ruth has significant experience in corporate management, and a background in financial services regulation, with a particular focus on oversight, audit and risk.
- Ruth also has significant board experience as an independent Chair of the Audit Board and Chair of the Standards Advisory Committee for the London Borough of Newham.
- She previously held an international role as a Head of Governance for Standard Chartered Bank, and worked in both operational management and regulatory roles at the Financial Conduct Authority.