This consultation ended 25 November 2023.
The responses to this consultation are currently being reviewed. Details of the outcome will be published here in due course.
We want your views are on banning the manufacture, supply and sale of wet wipes containing plastic in the UK.
The proposal is aimed at reducing plastic and microplastic pollution, particularly in our waters.
We are seeking views on:
- The likely impact of the proposed ban on the businesses who manufacture, supply or sell wet wipes containing plastic;
- The likely impact of the proposed ban for consumers, particularly for those with protected characteristics, e.g. disabled people;
- Any wider impacts of keeping plastic containing wet wipes in circulation;
- Any wider impacts of wipes marketed as alternative or plastic-free;
- The composition of alternative wet wipes;
- If any exemptions are needed for wet wipes containing plastic; and
- The proposed timeframe for the commencement of the ban.
This is a joint consultation between The UK Government, Welsh Government, Scottish Government and Northern Ireland Executive.
This consultation is being held on DEFRA